There is no way to sugarcoat it. A cancer diagnosis is tough, and it can make you feel helpless, lost, and confused. If you or a loved one has just received one, these tips can help you navigate this journey.
- Write down questions to ask before appointments with healthcare providers. Make sure to ask what the exact diagnosis is and how it was determined, what the cancer stage is, what the different treatment options are, and whether or not clinical trials are available.
- Seek information from reputable online sources. The Canadian Cancer Society, cancer.gov, and cancer.net can all provide accurate medical information.
- Consider getting a second opinion. In many cases, it can be as simple as asking for a referral from your current oncologist.
- Review lifestyle habits. If you have your doctor’s approval, try to optimize lifestyle habits for better health, ahead of treatment. Quit smoking, reduce alcohol intake, wear sunscreen, and maintain a healthy weight.
Cancer can feel overwhelming, but starting with these simple steps can help you move forward after your diagnosis.
These tips originally appeared in an article from Maple’s blog: What to do if you or a loved one is diagnosed with cancer.
Please read the following carefully:
- This article has been prepared by and belongs to Maple Corporation. ivari is permitted to use and distribute this article. All uses, modifications and distributions are subject to the prior written approval of ivari and Maple Corporation and otherwise expressly prohibited.
- This material is intended for general information purposes only and should not be considered specific or personal health/medical advice, nor is it a substitute for advice from a qualified medical professional.
- For your convenience, this article may provide links to third-party sites. ivari makes no representations about these sites and access by you is at your own risk.
- ivari partners with Maple Corporation to offer extra-contractual virtual health services to its policyholders. For details, click here. Please consult your ivari life insurance advisor to determine if this service is right for you.