Flu season lasts from winter until early spring, and catching it can take you down for the count.
For those with weakened immune systems, it can have serious complications. While the flu virus is everywhere throughout these months, there are a few things you can do to protect yourself. This flu season:
- Maintain a healthy immune system to fight off the virus. The best way to do this is by eating well, managing your stress levels, and getting at least seven hours of sleep each night.
- Wash your hands often. The flu spreads by droplets that can be pretty much anywhere, so wash your hands and clean common surfaces as much as possible.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth, as much as possible and especially before washing your hands. These are the perfect areas for flu droplets to creep into.
- Get your flu shot. Doing this every year might seem redundant, but it helps your immune system fend off the flu and can prevent you from spreading the virus to others.
Taking these extra steps can help you stay healthy this winter.
These tips originally appeared in an article from Maple’s blog: Flu season in Canada: how to protect yourself.
Please read the following carefully:
- This article has been prepared by and belongs to Maple Corporation. ivari is permitted to use and distribute this article. All uses, modifications and distributions are subject to the prior written approval of ivari and Maple Corporation and otherwise expressly prohibited.
- This material is intended for general information purposes only and should not be considered specific or personal health/medical advice, nor is it a substitute for advice from a qualified medical professional.
- For your convenience, this article may provide links to third-party sites. ivari makes no representations about these sites and access by you is at your own risk.
- ivari partners with Maple Corporation to offer extra-contractual virtual health services to its policyholders. For details, click here. Please consult your ivari life insurance advisor to determine if this service is right for you.